baslinux - [BL] kids' internet computer help

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] kids' internet computer help
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:54:24 +0000 (UTC)

I was asked for a computer that will work with Win9X games (Win95 is okay) and also go on the internet to play kids' games, for a clever 8 year old.
I researched how to dual-boot Win9X with config.sys and menuitem (uses loadlin, simpler than with lilo).

Kids' games use Flash plugin, which is designed for GTK-based browsers such as Firefox 2.0 and Seamonkey 1.1 or later. Does it work with Firefox 1.5 too? (Adblock Plus older version worked, but I did not find an older linux flash plugin).

The BL archives and Opera site indicate that Flash plugin needs glibc 2.3, lesstif, and Opera 9.5 or later to make the plugin work properly (though Steven apparently used it with an older version, by manual installation).
Has anyone used it with 9.5 or later in BL? If so, how exactly?

The computer will be 400MHz with at least 64MB RAM and use broadband.

I gave up on BL3 with Firefox (appears to load but never appears) and will use Opera if I can get Flash working, or Seamonkey 1.1.17 or Firefox 2 with BL2 otherwise.

How would I set up BL3 and/or BL2 to go right into X and load one of these browsers as quickly as possible? Window manager not needed, I won't worry about logging in as user (no online banking). Can I use rc to insmod the ethernet driver module and run udhcpc? Should I change the runlevel to go directly into X? Can it be set not to need to login at all?

Browserpuppy (even booted from live CD so I don't need to bother installing to HD) is another option but I prefer BL. Boots faster, no viruses, and I would learn something.

Sindi Keesan