baslinux - Re: [BL] A small secure sshd package

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] A small secure sshd package
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 14:52:05 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

hi sindi,

ok, i finally installed your dropbear package on my toshiba t4800ct.

i saw that it put all four files (dropbear, dbclient, dropbearkey,
and scp) into the root (/) directory. based on where my other
linuxes put those files, i moved them so that dropbear is in /usr/sbin
and the other three are in /usr/bin.

I posted not slackware packages but just a set of binaries without the instructions. I just replaced the old packages (glibc 2.2.5 and uclibc) with complete slackware-type packages, which put the binaries in /usr/local/bin and the html help files in /usr/local/share/dropbear.

Read the instructions. You need to generate one or two keys and put then in /etc/dropbear. Also check the archives for dropbear because I probably discussed this. I had some problem due to compiling busybox without a shadow password, I think, and discussed how to fix it.

I have two keys with different names in /etc/dropbear. One may be enough. I generated them both March 2008 and have not changed them. They are specific to your computer.

This is version 0.49, compiled March 2007. There have been updates since then but since dbclient is working for me, and it would take time to figure out the shadow password business again, I have not bothered to compile them.

then, logged in as root, i ran this command:
# dropbear

but i still cannot login to this computer from any of my other machines.
i tried doing it by both hostname and ip address, but no go either way.
please help.

ps - even before i installed dropbear, i was already able to use
ssh from this machine as a remote client, to login to my other machines.
but i can't figure out how to go the other way around.

dbclient ought to work without any keys - it is just the server that needs the keys. Use dbclient just like ssh. scp also works without a key.

-monz

--- On Tue, 5/26/09, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>