baslinux - Re: [BL] modem for use with linux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] modem for use with linux
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:13:16 +1300

Message from Steven
===================

> Can anyone suggest a Hayes compatable modem
> for use with linux?

I've got a dozen old internal modems that work
perfectly with Linux. Anything that has jumpers
to set the irq/port should work.

> I suppose it should be an external modem

Any external (com port) modem should work with Linux.

> at speeds of 56K though a 28.8 or a 33.4 would do
> in a pinch.

I've got two 56k internal modems that work fine.
The others are 33k or 28k. The 56k internal modems
tend to be newer than the slower ones, so they are
more likely to be jumperless. You should have no
trouble finding a cheap 33k internal that will work.
I paid $2 each for mine. If you were local, I'd
give you one for free.

> I would want a new unit of recent manufacture if
> possible.

I've used several old internal modems and none of
them have failed me.

> I have been watching on Ebay but all I have
> seen on there looked like junk.

You can get three old modems for a fraction of the
price of a new one. With three chances, you are
much more likely to get one that works. Moreover,
unless a new internal modem is specifically designed
to work with non-Windows systems, an old secondhand
modem is more likely to work.