baslinux - Re: [BL] Dillo in BL3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dillo in BL3.50
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:42:32 +0000 (UTC)

but for a low-resource browser, i really like dillo,
and as both zachs and you have said, it's very fast.
it also gives nicer support for the graphical style
that has become so prevalent in today's websites.

To look at one 1280x1024 photo, links2 in svga mode uses 2.1% of my 512MB, dillo uses 1.3% but Xvesa another .8% (and icewm .2.) Links2 in X probably does not use much more (I seem to have messed up two consoles testing so cannot check right now).

links2 with ssl for BL3 X is 3.7MB.

dillo 8 is 330K but the dependencies add up to over 3MB, and it does not do frames or SSL or any javascript.

I tested Dillo 0.8.0. 0.8.6 has switched to FLTK2 (a 2.5MB source download). Should I post it with dillorc? (Do you know if 8.5 is also FLTK2?). FLTK is supposed to be much faster but with a dialup connection I would not notice.

the only version of bl i use is 3.50, so i was
hoping that a version of dillo would work with that.
but when i looked at what's in the tar file, i saw
that it was loaded with dependencies. so that's why
i waited and asked here first.

I have not been able to compile much for libc5 - lots of error messages about things missing. If you add a few libraries from glibc of SW81 you can use what I compiled and also Opera.

actually, it was silly of me to think that dillo 2.0
would work, because i know that bl's kernel is 2.2.
but is there a slackware 4 package for it? and would

Dillo ('8 years old') is newer than Slackware 4 (1999).
I could not find it precompiled for libc5 but they tweaked a few things so it would compile, they say.

I compiled elinks but it does not work right with 2.2 kernel.
I compiled some small 2.4.31 kernels. http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles.
bzimlsfu.431 for laptops supports framebuffer (xfbdev)

dillo work ok in bl3.50?

-monz

--- On Fri, 1/9/09, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>