baslinux - Re: [BL] Dillo in BL3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dillo in BL3.50
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 04:32:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Dillo 2.0 probably won't work on BasicLinux without a lot of hacking. I
would recommend seeing if you can compile an older version of Dillo
(0.8.x maybe)

Why do you want Dillo rather than links, links2, elinks, lynx, or Opera?
I could attempt to compile it for BL2 (glibc 2.2.5).

The sourceforge site says it is written in C and is under 300K source with 200K binary. Very fast. No support for frames, or SSL (links1 and 2 have both). Or FTP.

dillo latest file release 0.6.4 Jan 29 2002. 284K source. 1.9K/sec.

tar -zxvf dillo*
./configure
make (default configuration)

It compiled very quickly and it works.

Lots of dependencies - libjpeg.so.62, libpng.so.3, libgtk-1.2, libgdk-1.2, libgmodule-1.2, libglib-1.2, libXext.so.6, libX11.so.6 (would the BL3 ones work?). libz.so.1. If I compiled statically it would be quite large.

I happened to have these for other reasons but they would use up a lot of space in basic BL. libgtk-1.2.so.0 alone is 1.3MB.

It loaded very fast. Has Bookmarks. I now have two (blank) tabs at page bottom for two sites. Not a lot of features, but it is fast. I had to use a mouse to navigate between links.

It displays quickly at llbean.com.

If you want to add libc and libm 2.2.5 (libdl?) and the other dependencies (which I think can be from Slackware 4.0) I will upload the file and also dillorc. Let me know.

I prefer a browser that works for online mail, at the library, etc.
Have you tried links2?

Zach