baslinux - [BL] new problem with display of pdf's

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] new problem with display of pdf's
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:52:16 -0500 (CDT)

I managed to get all pdf's I tried on the testbed laptop to display using Slack4's xpdf, but I'm not having that success with the actual target laptop. The pdf's load in in xpdf, but in almost no cases so far is any text visible in those pdf's. Looking at terminal output from xpdf, it would seem that this is because the program is not finding suitable fonts with which to display the documents I'm trying to view. The main question I have, then, is why this didn't happen on the testbed laptop.

It could be because I had installed some extra font packages there--the ones Steven advised to install to help resolve the web page display problems in Opera that I thought were caused by absence of a wide selection of fonts. Does the lack of those fonts on the current laptop I'm setting up seem like what may be the reason why xpdf does not display any text in the documents I'm trying to view with it? Frankly, I'd rater not add all those fonts to this system since it messes up rxvt. But maybe I'll have to. If so, can I put them someplace where only xpdf will be able to find them? Help with this issue will be appreciated.

I did symlink Abiword's font directory to the ghostscript directory that Sindi advised about. That didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks,
James

PS The fonts Steven advised installing from Slack 4 were: xf100, xfcyr, xfnon, xfnts, and xfscl.