baslinux - Re: [BL] BL-3 ADD-ONS

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL-3 ADD-ONS
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:03:29 +0000 (UTC)

There is a larger loop file with some extra progs already installed
and ready to go. But it is a big download: 26.9 MB.

You can make a larger loop file yourself using dd.

Boot with 2-floppy BL3.50
----------------
dd if=/dev/zero of=fs50.img bs=1024k count=50

This creates a 50MB image file (50 1024k=1MB blocks in an output files callsed fs50.img)
--------------
mke2fs fs50.img

Puts on a file system
-----------------

mkdir /newimg

mount -o loop fs50.img /newimg

Make a new mount point and mount the image file so you can copy things to it.
-----------------------
I am not sure about this rest of this, since my notes are for copying from ext2 to loop linux, but I think you can then copy files from the existing loop linux.

Assuming you have the loop linux in /dev/hda1 (C: partition)

Mount the DOS directory containing the old image file
mount /dev/hda1 /hd

----------------
mkdir /oldimg

mount -o loop /dev/hda1/baslin/fs.img /oldimg

Makes another mount point and mounts the 20MB image to it so you can copy files from it.
-------------------------------
cp -a /oldimg/* /newimg
(wait for files to copy)

This should copy all your files to the new image file.
-------------------

umount /dev/hda1/baslin/fs.img
mv fs.img fsold.img

This unmounts the old image file and renames it (as a backup).

umount /newimg
cp fs50.img /dev/hda1/baslin/fs.img
This unmounts the new image file and copies it to c:\baslin under the name of the old image file.

Reboot and run BL3.50 loop using the new 50MB image file.

Steven, please correct any goofs in the above.

A bigger loop file is helpful if you cannot make a separate linux partition on your hard disk. I have put loop BL3 onto a memory card or zip drive (which was formatted FAT). I boot with floppy disk and then mount the loop file and chroot to it.