baslinux - Re: [BL] Mounting floppy and cdrom

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mounting floppy and cdrom
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:13:15 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Teixeira wrote:

> cd /etc/fstab gives cd: 2: can't cd to cd/etc/fstab

fstab is not a directory, so you can't cd to it.
Try this:
--------------
cat /etc/fstab
--------------

> go /etc/fstab gives sh: go: not found

go is not a command. Try this:
---------------
edit /etc/fstab
---------------

> /etc/fstab says "permission denied"

fstab is not an executable.

> When I try to format a floppy, fdformat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> says: FDFMTTRK: Device or resource busy

That is not the correct syntax for fdformat.
Try this:
-----------------
fdformat /dev/fd0
-----------------

> I know NOTHING about Linux and despite the fact that I
> really want to learn it, I can't find HOW to learn it
> methodically (Commands are easy to find, but I think
> it's not enough).

You may find it useful to browse the /usr/man directory.

To check the syntax of commands, use the --help parameter.

> Can you recommend a good source? (unfortunately it has to be free)

It may be useful to read the BL3 archives:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/

The BL2 FAQ has useful information:
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux2/faq.txt

The Linux HOWTOs have useful information:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html