baslinux - [BL] BL2/Win98 networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2/Win98 networking
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:27:33 +0000 (UTC)

Ping works, a browser does not.

Hardware:

Wireless Netgear router. 192.168.0.1

Win98 computer given to us with wired and wireless network cards. The wired one is communicating with the router. The wireless one gets no signal from the router, (but the wireless software gets a 'poor' signal if I plug that computer into the router via network cable, and set up the laptop wireless card.) This is a DELL card by Cisco. Maybe Cisco talks better to Cisco? ipconfig assigned it 192.168.0.2.

Wireless PCMCIA Cisco Aironet 340 in our best laptop (Toshiba Satellite with 32MB RAM) and BL2. airo modules. 'start' apparently does the equivalent of ifconfig eth0 up. dhcp assigned 192.168.0.3 and also replaced my original DNS numbers in resolv.conf (I am keeping a backup file) with the IP number of the router.

I can ping between the two computers and from each to the router.

I run mini_httpd on the linux laptop.
From another terminal on the laptop lynx can access 192.168.0.3

(I think when I connect two linux computers via ethernet, lynx can access the other computer running httpd.)

Win98 Netscape and IE cannot access the laptop. Netscape complains about no network socket. What am I missing? I promised a Win98 computer with working network card for DSL broadband to some strangers in another city who know nothing about computers and probably had XP before their computer died, and have been without a computer for a week waiting for one from me. I am practicing on this computer before setting up theirs. It was working on a network (obviously not via wireless, which had an IRQ conflict until we set BIOS to pnp os). Do I need to change some settings?

I would give them a linux computer, but their son needs to do his homework with WORD and EXCEL. I don't think he wants Open Office and I don't have a week to download it and learn it.

I will test the wireless card with DSL live CD.

  • [BL] BL2/Win98 networking, baslinux, 03/02/2008