baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with opera and lynx as 'user' summary; was Re: which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with opera and lynx as 'user' summary; was Re: which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:02:45 +0000 (UTC)

User cannot access /usr/sbin or /sbin.

To let user dial, I had to copy ppp-on and ppp-off to /usr/bin.
To avoid an error message, I then deleted the third line of ppp-off (which uses /sbin/ifconfig, not on user's path, to generate a message stating that ppp was not on).

'user' accesses the modified ppp-off, root the one in /usr/sbin (which gives the ifconfig-related message). I could have simply edited the one in /usr/sbin and symlinked to files in /usr/bin.

Cannot create /var/eznet/session.html for ppp-on as user, but it dials anyway. eznet log does not have any messages.

I thought making eznet +s would have given it permission to write to /var/eznet. Not important, but the error message could be confusing.
(Maybe nobody will see it if they dial with the jwm menu).
What permissions do I need to change to fix this?

I am online as 'user' from BL3.50, using dbclient. (I don't know if it needed /dev/urandom but I made it anyway. ssh needs it).

I had added a few things to the jwm menu as root (lynx, links2, opera, abiword) and was able to just copy .jwmrc from /root to /home/user).
The newly copied over .jwmrc has 'user' ownership.

I added a second, W on B, rxvt to the menu. The pale green and turquoise files are hard to read against white when I ls /usr/man.
rxvt -fg white -bg black (etc.)

links2, lynx, opera, and abiword appear to work as user (did not try yet to print).

To get the focus on the current rxvt, hit ESC to remove the menu if present then Alt-Tab. (Or move mouse) Keybindings can be seen by editing jwm menu (.jwmrc).

We seem to have jwm v0.24. There is a v2.0.1 July 2007.