baslinux - Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:39:47 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sindi wrote:

You need to put on at least glibc 2.2.5 for Opera 8 or 9 so you may as
well use 9.

For what it's worth, Opera 9.50 does work on BL 3.5 with the upgraded libraries (linked to from the BL site under the directions for installing Opera).

As I suspected though, making BL 3 work for an unpriviledged user looks to be alot more complicated than just adding the passwd.tgz program. I couldn't get Xvesa to run for the new user, for example. I'd say it's going to take alot of reverse engineering to set up BL 3 for the need I have in mind. I'm not up for that unless professional help--namely from Steven--is on offer. I've seen enough in my experiments today to know that I don't want to tackle that task on my own--definitely not on top of what I've taken on in volunteering to set up this little lab.

So, more on BL 2, under which I presume I won't have such problems. Does Xvesa work fine for unpriveledged users under BL 2, or should I stick with the full fledged X?

Thanks,
James