baslinux - [BL] jwm without a mouse?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] jwm without a mouse?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

The win/lin hybrid internet computer was picked up by a new user who is in her seventies and has problems with mice. She knows DOS and was able to get into and out of her account and reboot via console. Boot to DOS, type LIN. Ctrl-Alt-Del to exit linux.

She was holding the mouse upside down, and could not see the little arrow. Is there an easy way to make the pointer larger short of changing resolution? Or red? I suggested mail-ordering prescription reading glasses ($38 with frames) instead of peering out the bottoms of her bifocals. 15" monitor, 1024 resolution so that you could read the bottoms of windows in opera.

I showed her how to exit jwm with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. How to get the menu with Alt-F1. We discovered that Opera 9 (unlike 8 and 7) needs to be installed to work for user, or it segfaults if run from the wrapper script, but you can start it without a mouse. Once in Opera you can type Alt-V etc to get a dialog box, but then is there some way to switch focus to it without a mouse? Alt-Tab works between various rxvts in jwm but does not seem to work between windows in opera. In icewm the newest window gets the focus. Also in more recent jwm 1.8 - could the code for that be added to 0.24 source code? I have not been using jwm because of the need to change focus every time (with Alt-Tab or mouse). I may put on icewm and add to its menu, since she won't be using most of the jwm menu anyway.

She may only run Opera in X.

To run one X program at a time without wm make a script 'XP10'
(Xvesa -screen 1024x768x24 &); DISPLAY=:0 $1 (for X Program 1024)
XP10 opera or just a single-purpose script 'o'.
XP10 xpdf - did not fill the entire screen, could be enlarged with icewm.

You save a bit of time and about 2MB of memory (at 800x600x24).

How can I set jwm to boot to an rxvt, in .xinitrc? Then the user could type o.

I set up eznet.conf for vtisp.com ($3.95/month without email or phone support) and her chosen login and password. Anyone with a 486 can afford to be on the internet. (386s don't always work with linux).

I forgot how to print directly with gs in Opera. I tried making an lpr script to print with in Abiword but it did nothing. wp prints so it is not the hardware. She is happy with wp for writing letters with. I said to get any older printer. (Deskjet ppa printers won't print plain text - which other ones should be avoided?).

I put on the main menu graphical links, lynx, opera, abiword, text editor, DIAL and HANGUP.