baslinux - Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:40:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

P2 with 64 MB RAM.

I'd like to put the new BL 3 on this machine, but
the need to add an unpriviledged user might be a
show-stopper.

It's not a show-stopper. BL3 has a passwd.tgz
package which makes this easier. Sindi has a
lot of experience setting up BL3 for non-root
users.

I posted a summary of what you need to do in order to dial, use rxvt, etc. as user. It was not easy. You have to hang up before rebooting or shutting down (Karolis finally figured that out for eznet) or ttyS* reverted to not being usable by 'user'. I have no experience setting up broadband even for root.

Put any needed modules in rc.

The Opera 9 versions would not let me run Opera as user from the directory where I unpacked it. 7 and 8 would. It ran okay as root.

Opera does not work at the DELL download site and a few other sites. But your users are unlikely to be downloading drivers.

I got printing working by ignoring lpr and using scripts based directly on gs in opera and other X programs.

Several of my friends were happy switching from Win98 and Opera to BL3 and Opera. With 32-48MB RAM. Links graphical was too different for them. Suggest webmail.

Have fun.

I will set up this machine mainly for web browsing
and so will need to install a more modern browser
like Opera.

Opera works on BL3; however, if you want to add
fancy plug-ins (like flash) to Opera, BL3 is not
suitable.

Any recommendations for what version of BL to put
on this machine?

Personally, I would use BL2 (that's what I'm running
right now). BL2 provides a superior general-purpose
platform. BL3 is better for systems which have slow
CPUs (486,P1) and/or low ram (4mb,8mb,16mb) and/or
limited space on the HD.