baslinux - Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:50:05 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> P2 with 64 MB RAM.
>
> I'd like to put the new BL 3 on this machine, but
> the need to add an unpriviledged user might be a
> show-stopper.

It's not a show-stopper. BL3 has a passwd.tgz
package which makes this easier. Sindi has a
lot of experience setting up BL3 for non-root
users.

> I will set up this machine mainly for web browsing
> and so will need to install a more modern browser
> like Opera.

Opera works on BL3; however, if you want to add
fancy plug-ins (like flash) to Opera, BL3 is not
suitable.

> Any recommendations for what version of BL to put
> on this machine?

Personally, I would use BL2 (that's what I'm running
right now). BL2 provides a superior general-purpose
platform. BL3 is better for systems which have slow
CPUs (486,P1) and/or low ram (4mb,8mb,16mb) and/or
limited space on the HD.