baslinux - Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] which BL? advice needed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:56:57 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
I've been asked to set up a couple of computers for public use in a retirement community. One of the target machines is pretty old: P2 with 64 MB RAM. It seems like a good candidate for BL.

With so much RAM, there are other candidates too: Vector Linux, DSL, Slackware,

I will set up this machine mainly for web browsing and so will need to install a more modern browser like Opera. I also do not want those using it to be running as root on the 'net, so I'll need to add an unpriviledged user. It should also boot straight to the gui using that unpriviledged account.

I'd like to put the new BL 3 on this machine, but the need to add an unpriviledged user might be a show-stopper. Any recommendations for what version of BL to put on this machine? Input will be appreciated.

You should download users security addition.