baslinux - Re: [BL] Very small chess program

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Very small chess program
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:11:53 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Samir wrote:

> Today I uploaded the remaining four programs
> announced more than one month ago on my Basic
> Linux additions web page.

Thank you. I am sure users will find them useful.

> However, instead of porting GNU Chess, I have found
> an incredibly small chess program.

Yes, it is incredibly small. It reminds me of the
early 80s when programmers did amazing things on
Commodores and Apples with just 4 kilobytes of code.

> And it knows castling, en passant, and pawn promotion
> to queen, rook, bishop or knight. For each move you
> can type it yourself (for example e2e4), or just press
> ENTER to give computer a try.

Yes, it seems very capable. To be popular, it probably
needs some sort of point-and-click front-end (that e2e4
stuff is greek to most casual chess players). But other
than that, it is a very nice find. Thank you for porting
it to BasicLinux.