baslinux - [BL] i810 binary

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] i810 binary
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:20:48 +0000 (UTC)

The link posted by David Moberg to a glibc i810 kdrive server, which I think Lee got and used, is not working for me. Does anyone have this
driver?

His link is:
http://www.tuxfan.homeipnet:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive/8.0/

A web search brought me later XF86 versions that had a long list of unfamiliar looking dependencies such as libxdmcp0 and libxau0 and libz1.

Our only computer that would take a 1.0GHz Intel cpu has onboard i810 and no AGP slot. The PCI Rendition video card (that worked perfectly in another computer which has i810 onboard) gives odd error messages with Xvesa and also turns highlighted text invisible in CMOS setup. Xvesa works with a PCI ATI card but we have Win98 on the same computer and cannot find the right ATI driver, despite downloading some monstrosity that should include all RAGE drivers for all versions of Windows. The temporary solution is to use onboard i810 with Win98 (4MB driver worked) and switch to PCI card in BIOS to use linux with the ATI card but my partner does not like doing this.

The i180 is billed at 1280 res but Windows 98 only runs it to 1024.
It appears to use at least 4MB RAM with XP. DOS or linux with SVGA server only gets 1MB of onboard RAM. You need agpgart.o or kernel compiled for AGP support to get more RAM. If it were my computer I would not mix Win98 and linux on it but my partner is playing with a Palm OS collection and wants to learn with Windows as well as using the pilot software I compiled for linux (which works much faster and more simply for updates/backups and program installation).