baslinux - Re: [BL] i810 binary

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] i810 binary
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 22:23:20 +0000 (UTC)

Our only computer that would take a 1.0GHz Intel cpu has onboard i810 and
no AGP slot. The PCI Rendition video card (that worked perfectly in
another computer which has i810 onboard) gives odd error messages with
Xvesa and also turns highlighted text invisible in CMOS setup. Xvesa
works with a PCI ATI card but we have Win98 on the same computer and
cannot find the right ATI driver, despite downloading some monstrosity
that should include all RAGE drivers for all versions of Windows. The
temporary solution is to use onboard i810 with Win98 (4MB driver worked)
and switch to PCI card in BIOS to use linux with the ATI card but my
partner does not like doing this.

Xvesa works with i810 up to 800x600 16-bit (or 1024 256-bit in odd colors) which is tolerable, but the svgalib i810 libvga only does 640 resolution or less. I use svgalib-based zgv to view images, svp to view pdf files, and links -g if I need to view website inline images. Lee was so opposed to svgalib that he never discovered this. Maybe agpgart will help svgalib too?

X_SVGA should in theory work for 1024 resolution 8-bit. agpgart was suggested for use with it. It is supposed to make better use of memory (maybe increasing it from 1MB to the 4MB used by Windows) which I will try to compile. If it works, no need for the i810 X server, which works with kernel 2.4 or later.

i810 does not support linear framebuffer, meaning we get only 80 col 25 lines unless we can get other non-framebuffer modes, which tend to be quite unstable. So I will keep hunting for the ATI Windows driver.