baslinux - [BL] extended partitions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] extended partitions
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:53:43 +0000 (UTC)

A while back I reported that when I made an extended partition hdb4 in which to make logical linux partitions hdb5 hdb5 etc., on all but one computer the extended partition became D:, and on my DOS drive hda I now had partitions C: E: F: (G: being the CD-ROM drive). The fourth DOS partition is no longer accessible so I can have only three primary partitions on hda.

We were recently given 6 DFI computers/motherboards with 3 expansion slots, top of the line for 1999, for which we rounded up enough 500-500MHz cpus. (In theory they went to 8x133MHz but the voltages were wrong for even a 733MHz cpu). ISA slots allow internal hardware modem, SB16 sound, and MGA cards. Like earlier DFI computers Xvesa only works if you bypass config.sys (same on some Compaq and Emachines). I need to learn lilo.

We were also given a few large hard drives 8-15GB which I partitioned as
three primary, one extended and one or more logical for linux, and copied all my linuxes too (BL2, BL3.40, BL3.50, a partition with tgz and source code and photos, and a spare or two).

If I put in a DOS drive with four partitions and one of these linux drives, I no longer have C: E: F: partitions on hda, I have only C:

Unplugging the linux drive restores D: E: F:.

Both the drives had partition problems so I redid them both. hda had 72MB bad at the end. I replaced both drives. The problem persisted - I had the choice of C: D: E: F: on hda and no hdb, or C: on hda and all of hdb.

I was getting hardware error message at boot time so removed the AWE64 sound card. The error turned out to be AWE32 was dead. FM synthesis too. The sound works otherwise. Not related.

We did a test by partitioning a different small drive (hdb) with one extended partition and one logical ext2 partition. hda now has C: E: F: again (but not D: - D: is the extended partition on hdb.)

We did not check what happens if hdb has one primary and one extended partition.

I am told you need a primary partition to boot DOS from.

The solutions are:

1. On most computers (where files in D: disappear when you make any extended partition on hdb) do not put any files in hda2 (which becomes inaccessible from DOS). Make a very small partition, format it, but don't use it.

2. On DFIs and similar nuisances where having three primary and one extended partition on hdb (or maybe even one primary and an extended) causes all but C: to disappear from the master drive hda, format the second drive without any primary partitions, just one extended partition with logical partitions, and DOS will find three of the four primary partitions on the first drive. (Proceed as in 1. to deal with D:).

Other possibilities (choose one or more).

1. Don't make any extended partitions on hdb - put BL3.50 into 5GB and wait longer for it to boot.

2. Make only one primary partition on hda so there is nothing to get lost. Delete all those old DOS programs you no longer use. (And wish you hadn't, when ppmtolj prints a pgm file solid black, but printgif prints it correctly).

3. Use only one hard drive. Make one primary DOS partition, one extended partition, and as many logical DOS and linux partitions as you want on the 8GB drive. Four 300MB DOS partitions, a couple 200MB partitions for BL3 versions, 2GB for BL2, 2GB for photos and stuff....

Someone else suggested this already.

Would it also work to have three primary and one extended partition on one drive hda?

What on earth do people do with 120GB drives?