baslinux - Re: [BL] Beginning to see the light...

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Beginning to see the light...
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:32:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 04:55:15PM +0200, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Hello, List ! Czerno talking.

Installing Karolis's lynx ver 2.8.6rel4 was easy - much to my
surprise! It works as advertised in BL3, without any external
libraries; except I met the announced problem with gunzip : "Error
uncompressing...".

Yes, because busybox gzip doesn't support some flag (if I recall
correctly, "-n") lynx tries to feed it and chokes.

Hence I also downloaded the gzip-1.3.9-libc5-2.2 from Karolis's site.

As I remember, it had some strange uclibc-caused problems when working with
2.2
kernel that rendered it almost unusable. I suggest you use gzip from SW4.0:

Wasn't it the uclibc-static gzip that has the problems?
In either case, the older gzip from SW40 should work fine with lynx.

----
http://text.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.slackware.com/slackware-4.0/slakware/a6/gzip.tgz
----

My question is : in order to keep the install clean, into which dir
should I put the gzip binary ? How do I delete the obsoleted symlinks
(is that the word?) to busybox,

Just:

---
rm /bin/some_symlink
---

and how do I create new symlinks to
this stand alone gszip (as maybe required) ?

If you intend to put gzip binary somewhere else (outside the $PATH):

---
ln -s /somewhere/gzip /bin/gzip
---

There is no need to do this. I put the replacement gzip where the busybox symlink was.

If you want to keep track of what version you have, you could copy the new gzip to /bin as gzip-1.3.9-libc5 and then
delete the gzip symlink that is there and make a new symlink:

ln -s gzip-1.3.9-libc5 gzip

Or just copy it there under the name gzip without a symlink.

Karolis