baslinux - [BL] PCMCIA support -- BL3-50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] PCMCIA support -- BL3-50
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:18:40 +0100

Hi Steven

Actually it's the version that you install on a hard disk's DOS partition ... an explanation is necessary!

I've been using Debian on a desktop for a while -- so have some familiarity with Linux -- but I wanted to install a distribution on my old (but very portable) Tosh Libretto 100CT. Basiclinux is absolutely fabulous and is perfect for this application! I've never configured PCMCIA slots before under Linux as there are none on the desktop.

I installed BL3-50 on a clean FreeDOS partition without any config/autoexefiles etc and it booted up fine. I then ran /etc/pcmcia/start.
The IBM microdrive (512 MB) is identified and /dev/hdc is allocated to it, but then the configuration process ends with 'exiting'. I've tried to mount the drive, but no luck. In attempting to solve this I (stupidly) installed modutils.tgz and pcmcia.tgz from Slack 4 to see if this would help. The error message that I get is (as per my initial posting):

> insmod: pcmcia_core: no module by that name found

insmod: i82365: no module by that name found

insmod: ds: no module by that name found
> ide_cs.o: ide_cs.o: no such file or directory

I now realise that it is unnecessary to install modutils.tgz and pcmcia.tgz !!! I'll now reinstall Basiclinux and post the original error messages for you to look at.

....as a matter of interest I've been looking at the PCMCIA How-to. However I'm a little confused as to how PCMCIA functionality is incorporated into   kernel 2.2.26, if it is at all? This seems to be different for kernel 2.4 & 2.6, where code it actually compiled into the kernel's structure.

Does this mean that all PCMCIA functionality under BL3-50 (and 2.2.26 kernel) is provided by David Hinds' package.?

Could you also point me in the direction of a good website or book that will explain how PCMCIA slots are dealt with under kerne l2.2.

.... in the meanwhile I try to generate the original error log.

@B

Simon

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
16:39