baslinux - Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Yet another clueless n00b - with lotsa questions
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:37:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Czerno wrote:

I had booted Baslin without a config or autoexec
& that from DOS 6.2 as well as DOS 7.10

Have you also tried the 2-floppy BL3.50, which boots with lilo instead of loadlin? I have run into a few computers where Xvesa (the BL3 X server) does not work when you boot linux from DOS even without config.sys or autoexec.bat, but works after a lilo boot. I think these were DFI and Compaq.

A DOS mouse driver will also interfere. Unload it first.

This is as I said before, an ISA "S3" type 801.

S3 should be no problem. If we can't get Xvesa to
work, you can install the dedicated S3 Xserver from
Slackware 4.0. That will almost certainly work.

Or the svga server, but all my S3 cards worked with Xvesa. Never had an ISA S3 though.

Steven has a nice no-xvesa.tgz package - just add X server of your choice.

Do you have other video cards you could substitute?