baslinux - Re: [BL] msmtp for BL2 - authenticating mail transport agent

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] msmtp for BL2 - authenticating mail transport agent
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:54:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 05:29:41PM +0000, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
My ISP started requiring authentication for outgoing mail a couple of
months ago, which pmail does not handle. BL3 Sylpheed needs BL3 libX11.
So I compiled msmtp for BL2.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/msmtp-1.4.10-glibc225.tgz
Jan 2007. I omitted nls (German language version).

I use esmtp with mutt (non-BL system). Here's a tip that could help--you
might be able to cannibalize an

esmtp seems to require procmail

already-compiled, already-working authenticating smtp program. I use Freesco firewall/router and so keep track of its development. A new release just came out recently (version 037) and I noted in the changelog that it now includes an authenticating smtp program. Freesco still uses the 2.0.x kernel and libc5, so I would expect its smtp program to work with BL. Freesco comes as a single bootable floppy image, so you should be able to download it, mount it as a looped file system, and copy over from it its smtp program and config file. Not sure what the program is called, but I'm guessing it will be obvious.

Can you figure out what the program is? Maybe it is msmtp.

James