baslinux - [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'s from a doc)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BL listserv <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server (was: script to extract http://'s from a doc)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:08:11 +0000

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 02:50:16PM -0500, James Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:09:13PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > I've been talking to my local phone company. I can get a DSL
> > line for $55/mo, up 24-7, with 1.5MB/second download and 1
> > MB/second upload. Add a big harddrive and I can do a good job
> > of running an FTP server, which they have no problems with.
>
> Seems a bit high-priced to me. In larger metr. areas the
> big DSL carriers (and their local affiliates) are starting
> the lowest tier service at around $15/mo. (purchase 1 yr in
> advance).

Thanks. It was just a couple of exploratory phone calls. I'm now
studying the subject in depth. That's for a business account
which, according to the docs, are much more dependable than the
consumer accounts.

> Not as much bandwidth as you're talking about, but
> suffices for most peoples' needs. What kind of ftp server
> will you run with all that bandwidth?

One devoted specifically to "tiny linuxes".

Maybe a newsserver, too. They are much better than mailing lists.

> DSL providers sometimes do port blocking on the major ports
> (21, 80, etc.) presuming that someone is going to try and use a
> residential line for commercial purposes. I've run into that.
> But running services on an alternate port easily gets around
> that problem. But it sounds like you shouldn't run into that
> from what they're telling you.

The tech support guy told me how to unblock ports 21 and 119
(NNTP) in the DSL modem's hardware firewall after checking with
his superiors.

But I will get that in writing up front before I sign a contract.

> > Modem rents for $5/month.
>
> I might be able to dig you up a modem for the cost of shipping.
> I know I had one with a built in router, but it was having some
> problems. I might be able to part with this speedstream one
> I've got here too--I'll have to think it over a bit more.

Sounds interesting.

Just setting this up is looking like a major project. I've already
downloaded about 100K of docs. Would need a second computer to
take over if the main one failed, too... Rsync would be the main tool
for that job.

(I have a backup computer for my OSes, but it isn't up to this job.)

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru