baslinux - Re: [BL] script to extract http://'s from a doc. 5D

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: BL listserv <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] script to extract http://'s from a doc. 5D
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:50:16 -0500

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:09:13PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> I've been talking to my local phone company. I can get a DSL
> line for $55/mo, up 24-7, with 1.5MB/second download and 1 MB/second
> upload. Add a big harddrive and I can do a good job of running an
> FTP server, which they have no problems with.

Seems a bit high-priced to me. In larger metr. areas the big DSL carriers
(and their local affiliates) are starting the
lowest tier service at around $15/mo. (purchase 1 yr in advance). Not as much
bandwidth as you're talking about, but
suffices for most peoples' needs. What kind of ftp server will you run with
all that bandwidth? DSL providers sometimes
do port blocking on the major ports (21, 80, etc.) presuming that someone is
going to try and use a residential line
for commercial purposes. I've run into that. But running services on an
alternate port easily gets around that problem.
But it sounds like you shouldn't run into that from what they're telling you.

> Modem rents for $5/month.

I might be able to dig you up a modem for the cost of shipping. I know I had
one with a built in router, but it was
having some problems. I might be able to part with this speedstream one I've
got here too--I'll have to think it over a
bit more.

James