baslinux - Re: [BL] [OT] Learning Linux 53

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [OT] Learning Linux 53
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:14:14 +0000

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 08:43:35AM +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:27:14 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > Yeh. I like books too. But not for computer work.
> > They are such different mediums.
>
> _Any_ book about any subject other than books is dealing with a
> different medium.

The difference is that a computer can deliver everything a book
can deliver. All the words and pictures and tables and diagrams.

They are 'equivalent mediums', so-to-speak.

But the "e-book" can be, and often is, _much_ more up-to-date,
which is valuable in a volatile field like computers.

And if you read the "book" on the computer, you have the web at
your fingertips when needed to clarify or expand on a particular
subject, an "infinite appendix", which you don't have if you are
just reading a physical book.

> My method for a number of years has been to read first, then go back and
> do the exercises.
>
> And BTW that book "Linux! I didn't know you could do that" is of dubious
> worth to someone who is not looking to expand an already large distro.
>
> Although there are some bits in it that have been useful in helping me
> to understand more about Linux. And i may be using some of the things on
> the CD-ROM that came with it.

Thanks for the review.

Lee

--