baslinux - Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed

  • From: Hermang Mansilla <herman_blues AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Manual for Sylpheed
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 10:15:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I think the problem is that the init ramdisk that
boots
BasLinux first mount the Hard disk partition /dev/hda1
as msdos filesystem (no long filenames),
So when you try see or copy with midnight commander
you get the long names truncated.
My fix is this:
After booting Baslinux copy the initrd.gz to /tmp
then in the /tmp directory uncompress it with
gzip -d initrd.gz
then create a lop subdir
mkdir /tmp/lop
then mount it

mount -o loop initrd lop

use the midnight commander to browse inside the lop
subdir look for the file
/tmp/lop/linuxrc
edit it with mc, highlight first then press f4
You will see several lines that mount your hard disks
partitions as msdos
somthing like this
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /DOS

change it to this
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /DOS

save the linuxrc file pressing f2

then unmount the initrd with
umount /tmp/lop

compress it back with
gzip initrd

rename it to initvfat.gz with
mv initrd.gz initvfat.gz

The default kernel in Baslin does not have vfat
support
built in, so get the bigger kernel in Baslinux website
that has support for vfat
in dos save it as c:\baslin\newkern
edit the boot.bat to use the new kernel and new
ramdisk
the line must be something like this
loadlin newkern initrd=initvfat.gz root=/dev/loop0 rw
save it then boot Baslinux with the new changes.
Now you should be able to see the long filenames.
Hope this helps!
Bye,
-HHMM