baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 2E

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 2E
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:27:49 +1000

Hi Lee,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:53:54 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

>> I would agree with "inferior", but it is still useful for
>> a whole variety of purposes. I still use it daily - my
>> business runs almost entirely in DOS.

> It has some neat apps that should be ported to linux.

Agreed, and vice versa !

And there are. :)

And in my view, the best DOS prog that I would like to see ported to
Linux is Arachne. But it needs someone who speaks C, and is able to
commit the time.

> My first OS was XP.

Oh, bummer !

> I hated it and before I knew there _were_ any
> alternative OSs.

My first OS was NDOS running a BASIC translater on a Z-80, 3.9 MHz,
with 16 kb RAM. I still have the hardware. :)

> It was the section on DOS in my first computer book that led me to
> linux. I was fascinated by the commandline interface and the lack
> of animated paperclips and puppydogs.

And my very first contact with computers (apart from a Honeywell at
my college in the UK which used punched cards) was an HP 3000 mainframe,
running a shell for BASIC, at a TAFE evening course in Warrnambool, Oz.

> I was just about to install (or attempt to install) DOS 6.22 when I
> learned about linux.

Actually, I think you might have enjoyed it. I have always enjoyed
the challenge of making a limited facility/environment do what it is not
supposed to be able to do.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke