baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 29

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 29
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:06:38 +1030

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:09:09 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> DOS is M$. Baby Windows.

Oh dear God, NO!

DOS is more like commandline Linux or Unix.

And as for being Micro$not... that only applies to one type,
MS-DOS which they bought the rights for from someone else.

At the time there was also IBM-DOS, and nowadays there are DrDOS,
FreeDOS and several others that have no association at all with
Micro$not!

> You picked the hard way to learn linux. But it'll pay off in the long run.
> I highly recommend the first 10 or so chapters of this course:
> wget -O - http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.tar.bz2 | tar -xvvjf -
> That'll bring it down and bunzip and untar it and put the files in a
> directory
> called rute.html.

I made some wild guesses and after doing a ppp-on I opened xterm
and typed in the command as you gave it to me, and it all worked!

But I can't read it until I can install the lynx package that I
have also just downloaded.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v