baslinux - [BL] New TinyX From David Moberg 21

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] New TinyX From David Moberg 21
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:26:00 +0000

http://davidjmoberg.googlepages.com/Xi810.tgz

This is an experimental package which requires (and includes)
two uclibc baselibs. I've been running it with this
/usr/X11/bin/startx:

#!/bin/sh
xinit -- /bin/Xi810 -screen 640x480x16 -3button -terminate

The resolution and color depth are outstanding. It's like having a
new computer!

One problem, though: The horizontal sync is off, and I've got about a 1/2"
margin on the right side of the screen.

It would be wasy enough to correct if the tinyX's read a standard
XFree86Config, because you could just tweak the modeline numbers
in that file:

# <name> clock horizontal timing vertical timing
# DCF HR SH1 SH2 HFL VR SV1 SV2 VFL
Modeline "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525

Where SH1 is the start tick of the horizontal sync pulse and SH2
is its end tick. Those two numbers need to decremented, in units
of multiples of 8, until the image is aligned correctly.

Except for the modeline, that's all from XFree86 Video Timings
HOWT0, which I have here from the 4.2.0 XFree86 source docs.

The Xi810 has this option:

-screen
WIDTH[/WIDTHMM]xHEIGHT[/HEIGHTMM][@ROTATION][X][Y][xDEPTH/BPP{,DEPTH/BPP}\
[xFREQ]] Specify screen characteristics

Maybe that "xFREQ" option would do the trick, but I'm not yet clear on what it
refers to, so I don't have a number I feel safe in using to start
experimenting
with.

Anyone have any ideas?

Note: This tinyX server is for the whole family of related Intel chips, not
just the i810.

Thanks, David! Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :-) It's
very colorful.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful