baslinux - [BL] magicpoint

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] magicpoint
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:47:54 +1300

I've sat through several PowerPoint presentations,
but I've never actually tried composing a genuine
PowerPoint (I've been using MagicPoint for every
presentation I do). I recently got an old laptop
($5) which happened to have PowerPoint 4 on it, so
I decided to try it out just to see how it compared
to MagicPoint. I was disappointed.

PowerPoint 4 was less capable than the MagicPoint
in BL3 for doing the type of presentations I do.
Yes, PowerPoint is more user-friendly. Yes, PowerPoint
has pre-programmed templates that make it simple to
create your pages. Yes, PowerPoint has lots of help
pages and documentation. But, when it comes to actually
putting the presentation on the screen, PowerPoint 4
lacks an important capability that is in MagicPoint.

I think PowerPoint is now up to version 7 or 8, so this
capability has probably been added. But I was surprised
to find that the pathetic little MagicPoint on the BL3
floppy was more capable (in one important way) than
PowerPoint 4.