baslinux - Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke Windows-to-Linux FTP A

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke Windows-to-Linux FTP A
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:09:04 +0000

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:33:39AM +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:51:42 +0000 Lee Forrest
> <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ron,
> >
> > A friend with no web space who runs windows wants to send me
> > a huge file. How about a brief tutorial on how to do this via
> > FTP for the archives that I can send to her?
>
> One of you needs to run an ftp server, and the other to
> run an ftp client. It may be possible to run an ftp server
> on Windows, but I suggest that it is a lot simpler if you
> do it in BL3. Use pure-ftpd from the package on my website.
> (http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3)

Got it installed.

> And there are any number of Windows ftp clients, CuteFTP,
> WS-ftp, etc..
>
> For security, I suggest that you make a BL3 user account
> for your friend - you don't want her logging in as "root" !

The word would mean nothing to her. She'd probably think it was
some kind of crude joke. :-) But it's a good idea anyway. Don't
want that password floating around out there.

> You will need the adduser/password packages for BL3.

Already using it for root.

> Then, you invoke the ftp server: pure-ftpd -E & (the & runs
> the server in the background so you get your console prompt
> back, and -E disallows anonymous log-ins)
>
> You give your friend your IP address. She uses the ftp
> client to log in to your machine - in HER home directory.
> She uses the Windows ftp client to send the big files into
> her directory on your machine. When completed, she logs
> out.
>
> You unload the server: killall pure-ftpd
>
> As root, you retrieve the files from your friend's
> /home/friend directory.

Great. Thanks for the directions and the server package, Ron.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru