baslinux - Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke Windows-to-Linux FTP A

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ping Ron Clarke Windows-to-Linux FTP A
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:33:39 +1100

Hi Lee,

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:51:42 +0000
Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron,
>
> A friend with no web space who runs windows wants to send me a
> huge file. How about a brief tutorial on how to do this via FTP
> for the archives that I can send to her?

One of you needs to run an ftp server, and the other to run an ftp client.
It may be possible to run an ftp server on Windows, but I suggest that it is
a lot simpler if you do it in BL3. Use pure-ftpd from the package on my
website. (http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3)

And there are any number of Windows ftp clients, CuteFTP, WS-ftp, etc..

For security, I suggest that you make a BL3 user account for your friend
- you don't want her logging in as "root" ! You will need the
adduser/password packages for BL3.

Then, you invoke the ftp server: pure-ftpd -E &
(the & runs the server in the background so you get your console prompt back,
and -E disallows anonymous log-ins)

You give your friend your IP address. She uses the ftp client to log in
to your machine - in HER home directory. She uses the Windows ftp client to
send the big files into her directory on your machine. When completed, she
logs out.

You unload the server: killall pure-ftpd

As root, you retrieve the files from your friend's /home/friend
directory.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ron