baslinux - Re: [BL] sdf mail problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sdf mail problem
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

On 13/01/07, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
For the past four days or so it has been taking about 60 seconds to send
mail using pine or mutt. Someone made some comment in the 'bboard' that I
could not follow, about smtp and spam causing the problem. 'mail' sends
immediately - can I access my inbox with it somehow? I can use it to
send mail, but typing 'mail' tells me keesan has no mail.
Is there some
feature in mutt or pine that can be turned off to fix the problem?

if ppl are using the same smtp server as you for spam it would cause
delays... but if you are using sdf i doubt spam has any say in the
matter... sending mail using 'mail' probably falls to a background
process that takes 60 seconds that you dont see... if thats not the
case then something else is set wrong in pine/mutt or they are having
problems at whatever smtp server you are using... -or- your modem is
getting something hung in its data pipe... what state is 'CS' in on
those 60 second delays?

sdf has no spam filter at all (unless you choose to dump all mail with html tags) I use procmail (.procmailrc)

in pines settings look for an option labeled 'assume-slow-link'... try that...
I just X'ed that in pine.

I have not figured out how to use bboard.

not familiar with that one...

I posted a question there but cannot figure out how to read the replies.

I cannot receive list mail at my other shell account (it is too slow for
ibiblio) and would hate to use webmail.

but yet.. another reason to use it... ;)

What other reason is there other than nothing else working?

For now I am replying to a minimum number of postings, and going off to my
other account to read emails for 60 sec each time I post something (or
reading a book).

While I am here, could someone explain how listening to a wireless
broadcast of music over the internet uses more resources than listening to
a wireless broadcast of FM music?

fluff from lee on that one? lol... ignore it.. it doesnt.. your
computer would use the same amount of power waiting for 'press any key
to continue' as it would playing an audio stream... as for the other

Would it somehow tie up bandwidth on the internet?

systems involved in getting a stream to you... the mp3 encoder (which
can be done with a low end home pc) is still running whether you are
listening to it or not... so no power saved there... as for the
routers along the backbone of the net that are carrying those TCP
packets full of mp3 (or other) data to you -- if you arent using them
someone else is... and since the monitor is on whether you are
listening to music or reading your email (or more than likely both)
then that has no factor either... and heres a kicker... considering
that you need your monitor to see the email but not to hear the music
you can turn your monitor off while listening and use less power
listening to internet radio than you would reading email...

The computer cpu is still using some power, but most of the year I don't mind the heat.

if lee is factoring in the 'retransmission' part then the inefficient
area is the 1000+watt -limited coverage- vacuum tube based
transmitter(s) that the FM station is using...

if he would have said satellite radio (XM or sirius) which covers the
whole continental USA with 3 solar powered satellites then i -might-
have given it to him...

You can get their broadcasts via streaming audio, free. They only had three classical stations one of which was opera, last I checked. Mostly rock, just like FM radio.

btw, check into more web-centric stations than retransmitted FM...
less talk (or no talk) and no way for anyone to claim any
"inefficiency" unless you are playing mp3s with the univac...
What is a web-centric station?

as far as 24k streams cutting out on you on 56k thats a buffer
problem.... a problem as in its not big enough... i use a buffer of

I am using the default mplayer buffer, which varies for each station.
Viewed with realplayer, I can see that the signal is highly variable.
I can try a larger buffer.

6mb (yes 6 megabytes) for internet radio... gives me more 'wiggle
room' when visiting websites and when the phone line changes its mood
(modem retrain)... may seem a bit big but it works... 1 mb may be
better to start with tho as mplayer takes a while before it starts to
play when using a buffer of 6mb (i normally use foobar2000 on windoze
since i prefer AAC+ streams)... start at 1mb then work your way up if
you still get cut-outs...

I used some other method to adjust buffer size, I think.
Will try this one.

mplayer http://218.189.210.17:4802/ -cache 1024

make sure when it starts playing that stream it uses a sample rate of
16000hz (stereo)... mplayer uses a buggy version of the mpg123
decoder... which keeps wanting to start at 11500... (errors like; 'big
values too big!' & 'cant rewind stream by xxx bits!')

I often get the 'can't rewind stream' but ignore it.
How do I specify the sample rate?

Let's see if this sends in less than 60 seconds with the new setting.

--sam
--
Web; http://mephitus.no-ip.org/
Skype; Mephitus