baslinux - Re: [BL] 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:24:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

I just want to set the record straight. Sindi keeps dissing this
computer, posting information about it that is utterly false
according to my experience.

It has a 1000Mhz Celeron CPU, 128M SDRAM, a 20G hdd, a floppy
drive, parellel port, modem, sound, ethernet, lots of USB ports,
17" monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and a CDRW. It is a
"low-profile" box.

For debian and windoze, it has 1M video RAM.

I found only two hits on 'Gateway 300S PRB', one of which was your first posting to the list and the other someone to Debian (not relevant).

There were more hits on Gateway 300S - they all have Phoenix BIOS but Phoenix adapts the BIOS for each manufacturer. (For our HP they goofed in one spot, cannot disable onboard video tho it says you can).

A search on PHOENIX BIOS got me 'Phoenix BIOS setup and help' (F2) which said to 'Consult the setup manual that came with your system'. Did your new system come with a setup manual? Your BIOS is likely to be different from ours because the computer is a bit faster therefore newer (ours are 800MHz) and a different manufacturer. (Ours are HP, IBM and DELL).

Perhaps Phoenix did not supply a way to change BIOS video RAM on this computer.

Obviously the hardware can be made to work with more video RAM (in XP and Debian) and with a different X server (a later svga).

What versions of libX11, XFree86, and xterm does Debian use?