baslinux - Re: [BL] 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:07:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Lee Forrest wrote:

The computers Sindi has are all, literally, pieces of junk.

So are mine. In fact BasicLinux was designed specifically
for those pieces of junk.

MacMillan Contemporary Dictionary 1973.

junk:
1. old or discarded material...that can be put to some use.
2. Informal. anything regarded as worthless or useless.

I am putting all my computers to good use. They are all old and some were discarded but most were given to us to reuse, pass along, repair if necessary and recycle if nobody could put them to use (definition 2).

The 1.4GHz appears to have dead onboard USB. A friend gave us his old IBM (needed repair of the motherboard and replacement sound/video more compatible with BL3 than the i810), with a USB 2.0 card in it which I am putting to use (it works in DOS but not linux - ????).

Gateway makes good stuff. So good that they don't even have
to advertise.

They do google sponsored links, does that count?

People with more recent hardware may find that some
of it does not work with BasicLinux.

I have tested out lots of different sound and video and network cards (among the junk people give me) and I use the ones that do work with BL. I look for things with dates prior to 2000. We are only using computers with the more common full-height slots so can replace the onboard stuff that is quirky or too new.

It would still be helpful to get this very common (from 2000 on) i810 to work right in BL. Sound works (somewhat) with both libraries.