baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless Internet (was: Re: Help for a newbie)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: sheldonhisaac AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless Internet (was: Re: Help for a newbie)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 04:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

I use it for everything. Just got a pcmcia wireless connection with it.

Sindi, I was going to get back to you on this a while ago, probably it would
not have helped.

I got a (older type, not cardbus) PCMCIA wireless card, a Wavebuddy, just
over 2 years ago, to try out with Windows 98 before getting one for my niece.
Eventually got it working. The slower b kind, not a g kind.
Still way faster than dialup.

Can't remember whether I ever got it working with BasicLinux - maybe I got as
far as looking for drivers, found only source code, and gave up?

I compiled the pcmcia drivers for 2.4.31 from the source code package, but Steven already compiled them all for 2.2.26.

Anyhow, looks like you've got it working now.

Somewhat. On the desktop with ISA pcmcia slot the pcmcia modems and CF adaptor and ethernet cards work in linux, and the wireless modules segfault, or insert but iwconfig and iwlist segfault, kernel 2.2.26, with the card that worked on two other computers in 2.2.26.

Philadelphia is (contracted with some Earthlink-related outfit) supposed to
have city-wide wireless Internet next year some time, maybe some areas will
have it in the next month or so. Poor people will get it cheap or maybe even
free, vs $17.95/month.

Here everyone will get it free, 84K/sec.

Of course, there are several wi-fi hotspots all over, some free.
Here too, including the public library.

Since my next-door neighbor put WEP (or something) security on his wireless
in late 2004 or early 2005, and was unreceptive to my suggestion that I pay a
small fee for access, I didn't use that wifi card for a long time.

Finally I got low-speed DSL from Verizon in August, then a wireless router so
that my upstairs friend/neighbor could share it. (The $1 laptop had
flickering screen [I'm told this means a break in the cable between computer
and screen], so I got her a $60 laptop)

But so far this year I certainly haven't tried BL on a computer with a
wireless adapter.

Have you checked if your card is supported by linux?

Thanks,
Sheldon