baslinux - [BL] Wireless Internet (was: Re: Help for a newbie)

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sheldon.isaac AT verizon.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Wireless Internet (was: Re: Help for a newbie)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:52:55 -0500

On 21 Dec 2006 at 17:00, sindi keesan wrote:

SNIP

> I use it for everything. Just got a pcmcia wireless connection with it.

Sindi, I was going to get back to you on this a while ago, probably it would
not have helped.

I got a (older type, not cardbus) PCMCIA wireless card, a Wavebuddy, just
over 2 years ago, to try out with Windows 98 before getting one for my niece.
Eventually got it working. The slower b kind, not a g kind.
Still way faster than dialup.

Can't remember whether I ever got it working with BasicLinux - maybe I got as
far as looking for drivers, found only source code, and gave up?

Anyhow, looks like you've got it working now.

Philadelphia is (contracted with some Earthlink-related outfit) supposed to
have city-wide wireless Internet next year some time, maybe some areas will
have it in the next month or so. Poor people will get it cheap or maybe even
free, vs $17.95/month.
Of course, there are several wi-fi hotspots all over, some free.

Since my next-door neighbor put WEP (or something) security on his wireless
in late 2004 or early 2005, and was unreceptive to my suggestion that I pay a
small fee for access, I didn't use that wifi card for a long time.

Finally I got low-speed DSL from Verizon in August, then a wireless router so
that my upstairs friend/neighbor could share it. (The $1 laptop had
flickering screen [I'm told this means a break in the cable between computer
and screen], so I got her a $60 laptop)

But so far this year I certainly haven't tried BL on a computer with a
wireless adapter.

Thanks,
Sheldon
215-842-0863