baslinux - Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 02:16:34 +0000 (UTC)

Do I also insmod lp.o (but not parport.o and parport_pc.o) or is printer.o a substitute?

To print with lpd, for parport printers I need to insert the modules and run lpd as root. I forgot that (at least for BL2) I can print using lpd only as 'user'. BL3 is not set up with a 'user' and would thus need a password package installed first (or can root print in BL3?). And I forgot about needing ghostscript for lpd. This is too much to teach someone in another state who has never used linux and does not even know how to restore Windows, much less download and install programs.

To print with the 'wp' printing script, would one just need the three usb modules (including printer.o), lp (?) and the usblp0 device? I could attempt to email those to her (or mail them on a floppy disk, or teach her to download them). I hope the standard kernel supports the usb printer.

Could someone with a working USB printer try this? The one we found at the curb is out of ink.

If she has to print anything formatted she can copy the file from Abiword to Windows and print with WORD. Images can be printed with netpbm's pbmtolj, etc. . I installed Windows ghostscript and a viewer (ghostgum) which I set up to work with Opera, and linux pdftotext and pdfimages. I set lynx to use pdftotext on pdf files - how would I do that for Opera? Or could I use a combination of pdftopbm and zgv?

We have just been 'paid' for the linux computer (with a box of Chinese chestnuts) which must make us linux professionals.