baslinux - [BL] onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:54:32 +0000 (UTC)

Compaq Presario 5460 with 32MB RAM, of which the onboard SiS video is set to use 4MB. I could not boot loop linux until I added 'mem=28MB' to the boot.bat file. Apparently linux does not recognize the BIOS setting.

We just put together another Win98/Opera and BL32/Opera computer to send off to a small town in Kentucky to replace a probably-defective newer ME machine, to be used with text-only fastmail.fm mail and a $3 ISP (VTISP - no email, web space, or phone support, 5 hours/month) to replace Netzero, which is a real memory hog and requires Windows.

Last Win98/Linux machine we made is being used only in Linux.

Gmail now works with Opera 6.03 and above but after 10 min of download during account activation it commented that we have a slow connection and then crashed Opera and X on this machine. (There is no swap file because the new owner is supposed to transfer over her 64MB DIMM).

Supposedly you can use a 'basic HTML viewer' with Opera/linux but when I tried to access that link it ignored me (or crashed)..

Does anyone else have BL3/Opear working with Gmail?
The cheap ISP I signed one friend up with just switched everyone to that (so I switched her to fastmail instead).