baslinux - [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB printer/keyboard/mouse in BL3.4, was Re: onboard video causes 'attempt to access beyond end of device' in loop linux
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 02:17:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

First I need to activate the account via webmail

I activated mine using Opera 8.

I seem to have also activated it, unless the ISP did so when they set up a forward for my friend to fastmail.fm. Now, with a computer twice as fast as hers (mine is 400MHz) and twice the RAM (76MB) and a faster modem and Opera in linux instead of Windows, it only takes 2-3 minutes to access the Gmail start page. Fastmail is instant.

Does the Opera mail client work with Gmail?

Yes, I've used the Opera mail client with gmail;
but Opera has a MUCH bigger footprint than Sylpheed.
For old/slow computers, I recommend switching to
Sylpheed after you have activated the account from
Opera (or activate it from a different computer).

I recommend not using Gmail. You can set it up to store all your mails and also forward to a faster webmail that can be accessed with lynx or links instead.

What exactly would be required to add USB printing capabilities to BL3.4? I put Abiword on the Win98/BL3.4 computer that we just sent someone and told her to copy the files to the Windows partition to print them later for a while.

I know I need a printcap (for a Lexmark - is this Epson compatible?). Printer modules and lp. Any modules specific to USB printing and/or the 'big' kernel (which I forgot to include but can teach her to download it)?

Her current computer is pure USB 'Gateway Essential'. Will BL3.4 standard kernel support USB keyboard and mouse? (We sent others just in case).
I have only used them with David's 1-floppy USB-storage linux.