baslinux - Re: [BL] USB floppy linux

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB floppy linux
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:09:03 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

> I don't think I got that message. If you sent it more than a month
> ago, the spam filter probably ate it.
Is freeshell.org being filtered?

No, it is not in my spam filter list.

>> Do you have a working copy of this image file?
>
> It did work at one time. However, I have not used the USB bootdisk
> recently. I will download it, re-test it, and report back.
Thanks.

It works here.

>> Did you copy my linux-usb.tar.gz to your site at some point?
>
> I don't think so. But the linux-usb.tar.gz at my site should contain a
> working disk image.

It was identical to the one at my site, it booted over and over but never
got into linux past reading initrd.gz. I tried on two computers, and the
older image file did work.

Sounds like the problem is in syslinux. Are the two computers similar?
There is supposed to be an option you can set in syslinux to work
around certain BIOSes.

You may be able to fix the problem by taking the old (working) disk
and replacing its contents with the new disk image's kernel and
initrd.

> I think md5sum is still on the disk image, though.
sha1sum is on my working version, is that intentional?

Yes. sha1sum is quite small; I don't think I could replace it with
anything else.

All of our 17" monitors do at least HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-120
(some do 30-85 or 50-160). I could not remember how to mount 'linux'
(would not mount as loop) to edit libvga.config.

'linux' is the kernel, I think. You probably want to gunzip initrd and
mount it loop.

David