baslinux - [BL] USB floppy linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB floppy linux
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:55:31 +0000 (UTC)

I wrote your gmail address but got no response.

The 1440.img in the linux-usb.tar.gz which I am hosting (and which I have on my computer and which you have on your computer), when written to various disks all of which work with an older version, and used to boot two different computers which boot the older version (the one without 'less' and with 'chipset VESA') start to boot but after loading initrd.gz they reboot back to the start, and go in endless loops.

Do you have a working copy of this image file? Did you copy my linux-usb.tar.gz to your site at some point?

I think you compiled a uclibc 'less' for this, and made space for it by shortening libvga.config down from 17K. Or you may have recompiled busybox with 'less' (and without the s*sum program).

All of my working boot disks are the previous version and the one I thought was the new version would not boot.

I was going to ask if you still had the RTL8180 module/package you compiled (which I deleted because I could not get the card to work in Win98 and someone said our laptop was too old for it - 200MHz). I notice that the wireless cards are cardbus and therefore would not work with any of my kernels. Do you want to get BL working with cardbus PCMCIA 32-bit cards? I have a cardbus ethernet card too. I tried to compile for the ethernet card but could not get it working.

We realized that the probable reason for the card not working with Win98 was that BIOS comports were screwed up (we disabled both then reenabled one) which prevented Windows from working on line via modem (linux did work), and it now works with hardware and with winmodem.

We have two wireless cardbus PCMCIA that use the same module (and two others) and the neighbor is setting up a wireless system with cable internet and offered us the use of it. He might not want us running a cable out of his house. We will experiment first with Win98.

We are leaving for 3 weeks, but if you could post the image file for USB floppy I could download it and use it on the trip. I can live without 'less' but would like to share the disk with friends. We used it for USB camera, card readers, zip drive and external drive already.