baslinux - Re: [BL] USB floppy linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB floppy linux
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:00:03 +0000 (UTC)

I don't think so. But the linux-usb.tar.gz at my site should contain a
working disk image.

It was identical to the one at my site, it booted over and over but never
got into linux past reading initrd.gz. I tried on two computers, and the
older image file did work.

Sounds like the problem is in syslinux. Are the two computers similar?
There is supposed to be an option you can set in syslinux to work
around certain BIOSes.

Hi from Circleville Ohio public library. I tried on two Toshiba laptop computers, 100MHz and 266MHz Satellite - maybe Steven could check on his? And on a desktop (super socket 7 type). Did you change syslinux?

You may be able to fix the problem by taking the old (working) disk and

replacing its contents with the new disk image's kernel and initrd.
Or replacing syslinux in the new image file with the old one?

What did you change in the kernel? I only know about 'less' and 'chipset VGA' and the script for the mouse.

I think md5sum is still on the disk image, though.

This library computer does have a floppy drive but I doubt they want me running linux on it.

sha1sum is on my working version, is that intentional?

Yes. sha1sum is quite small; I don't think I could replace it with anything else.

All of our 17" monitors do at least HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-120
(some do 30-85 or 50-160). I could not remember how to mount 'linux'
(would not mount as loop) to edit libvga.config.

'linux' is the kernel, I think. You probably want to gunzip initrd and
mount it loop.

I will try this later on the laptop at someone's house. Replace new kernel with old kernel, in the new image file.

David