baslinux - Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:44:02 +1200

Maximilian Federle wrote:

> With IceWM the speed is almost ok, scrolling in firefox
> is however not very snappy... :)

True, micro-scrolling on my laptop Xterminal is sluggish.
I normally do page down.

> I can't believe this is the best possible as I've read
> howtos describing this method as "almost equal performant"
> as sitting directly in front of the host.

I think my laptop Xterminal (75MHz) is slower than yours
and I've been quite happy with the performance.

> On the host it's a 0000:02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller

Is that your ethernet controller? Multimedia too?
What speed ethernet? 10Mbps? 100Mbps?

> and on the laptop a microlink ethernet pcmcia card.

10Mbps?

> Should be fast enough

What are your ping times?

> Probably linking the two network cards with a crosslink cable
> should give max. performance, what do you think?

That's what I do.