baslinux - Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm

  • From: Maximilian Federle <max.federle AT googlemail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:16:08 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 27.08.2006, 10:13 +1200 schrieb
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org:
> Maximilian Federle wrote:
> >
> > Now I can see my gnome session on that old laptop. :)
> > However it's unusable slow. I expected it to be a bit
> > faster. Is that normal?
>
> How fast is your network connection? I've done that
> sort of thing via PLIP and it was slow. But it works
> smoothly for me via ethernet (on my 75MHz Toshiba laptop).
> Of course, I'm only running icewm, sylpheed and AbiWord.
> Gnome is *much* heavier so I suppose that could slow things
> down. I've never run Gnome myself. My best computer is
> 350MHz and it runs Firefox, Opera, Sylpheed, and Abiword
> sweetly (on icewm). It even does OK with OpenOffice.
> But, if I tried running a Gnome or KDE desktop, it would
> be unusable.
>
> > If yes, can I probably somehow compress the stream?
>
> That probably won't help (because your old laptop will be
> even slower when it decompresses the stream). Perhaps a
> faster network connection? Perhaps a lower color depth?
> Perhaps a less busy desktop?
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

With IceWM the speed is almost ok, scrolling in firefox is however not
very snappy... :) I can't believe this is the best possible as I've read
howtos describing this method as "almost equal performant" as sitting
directly in front of the host.

On the host it's a 0000:02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media
Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10 )

and on the laptop a microlink ethernet pcmcia card.

as you can see it's a pretty standard lan. Should be fast enough but I
don't know. I think nxclient won't even start on this laptop so that's
not an option.
Probably linking the two network cards with a crosslink cable should
give max. performance, what do you think?

Greetings

max