baslinux - Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm

  • From: Maximilian Federle <max.federle AT googlemail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xdmcp and ubuntu's gdm
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 04:00:41 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 27.08.2006, 13:44 +1200 schrieb
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org:
> Maximilian Federle wrote:
> >
> > With IceWM the speed is almost ok, scrolling in firefox
> > is however not very snappy... :)
>
> True, micro-scrolling on my laptop Xterminal is sluggish.
> I normally do page down.
>
> > I can't believe this is the best possible as I've read
> > howtos describing this method as "almost equal performant"
> > as sitting directly in front of the host.
>
> I think my laptop Xterminal (75MHz) is slower than yours
> and I've been quite happy with the performance.
>
> > On the host it's a 0000:02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller
>
> Is that your ethernet controller? Multimedia too?
> What speed ethernet? 10Mbps? 100Mbps?
>
> > and on the laptop a microlink ethernet pcmcia card.
>
> 10Mbps?
>
> > Should be fast enough
>
> What are your ping times?
>
> > Probably linking the two network cards with a crosslink cable
> > should give max. performance, what do you think?
>
> That's what I do.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

I have soldered my own crossover cable and it's perfectly working.
Can I probably have a seperate xorg.conf for the laptop on my host where
I can set e.g color depth (that should give a performance boost I
guess) ?

Finally I have to say that Basic Linux is just great. Small, supports
all the hardware and is so easy to use. I like it :)

Greetings

Max