baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 boot problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 boot problems
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:09:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

this is my third computer where the BL3 e2fsck is not working correctly.

The BL3 e2fsck works fine. The reason it can't check
your BL2 partition is because you created it (mke2fs)
with the sparse-super flag. The e2fsck in BL3 pre-dates
sparse-super partitions, so it doesn't know how to deal
with them.

The mke2fs (libc5) in BL3 does not create sparse-super
partitions. However, more recent mke2fs (glibc2) do
sparse-super by default. Therefore, to keep your
partitions compatible between BL2 and BL3, you should
turn off sparse-super in the BL2 mke2fs (-s 0) or use
the BL3 mke2fs.

Thanks, but what do I do about all the computers where I already created the partitions with BL2 or pqmagic? Can I turn it off after creating them? I don't want to have to redo them all.

Is there some advantage to sparse-super?

Would it be difficult or impossible for me to compile a static mke2fs that will work on sparse-super partitions? The BL2 ext2fs won't work in BL3, it segfaults even with libc6 added.

I will try to redo ramdisk BL2 to incorporate mke2fs and the later libext2fs. Mount -o loop baslinux, add and replace files, gzip again and umount?