baslinux - Re: [BL] fsck.ext2 ... exited with signal 11 in BL2 after filesystem corruption

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fsck.ext2 ... exited with signal 11 in BL2 after filesystem corruption
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 19:05:50 +0000 (UTC)

After some crashing due to scsi controller failure, when I boot BL2 from the original drive or one to which I copied all the files:

rc.d/rc.S: Testing filesystem status: Read-only file system
Parallelizing fsck version 1.18 (11 Nov 1991)
Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/hdb2 exited with signal 11

[I can run BL3 e2fsck on this partition and it is 'clean']

fsck returned error code - REBOOT NOW configuration error - unkown item
'USERGROUPS_ENAB' (notify administration)

[This string is in login.defs, which I don't even have in BL3 - do I need
the file at all?]
I fixed it by remarking out that line.

none (login):

[I can now type root and it logs me in, or if I wait it tells me:]
Login timed out after 60 seconds.
Remounting root device with read-write enabled.
EXTS-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

Then I get another login prompt:
Basiclinux login: [root]
configuration error: unkown item "USERGROUPS_ENAB" (notify administrator)

Then BL2 boots normally and I am online with it. So it is usable but how
can I avoid the above warnings and slow boot?

BL3 also complains during boot about a corrupt superblock.

If I run e2fsck (from loop BL3) it is clean, but -b 8193 fixes group summary information and inode counts. They stay fixed until I boot to hard disk again. Someone else had the same problem. BL3 and BL2 both work otherwise.

Loop BL3 e2fsck works on the BL2 filesystem on this computer but not on two others.

Someone else said to check whether Lost and Found exists. I have three
files and three directories in mine. I had deleted bunches of files from
here while trying to copy between scsi drives when things kept crashing.
(I had no other scsi setup to copy on, needed to use this controller).

'if lots of the output of fsck was with relation to orphaned inodes the OP
may be able to find his/her data under lost+found'. I have three
directories and two files in there but less cannot read them.

No lost files in BL3 but I may have deleted them already.

Would it help to run e2fsck using an alternate superblock?
Someone else trying to fix bad inodes said that did not help.

They were right.

BL2 also works perfectly when I chroot to it, only thing not working is
fsck.ext2 during boot.

How might I eliminate these error messages during boot other than reinstalling? Did I mess up the partition table for the disk? Would fdisk /MBR help, or whatever the linux equivalent is?

It is not a hardware problem because it goes between drives and computers.