baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel 2.4.31 works with USB zip drive

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel 2.4.31 works with USB zip drive
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:21:16 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 03:13:09 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > I can get an external USB hard drive with 4 partitions to work with
> > BL3 and kernel 2.2.26. I can then mount sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 on
> > /hd/sda(n).
>

> Good to know. I will try 2.2.26 with the USB zip drive and also with our
> USB external hard drive (80GB, $2 at yard sale) once we find a power
> supply for it, though 2.2.26 won't work with the camera or card reader or
> USB pen drive (all of which work in DOS).
>
> Can you boot to BL3 on the USB hard drive from DOS?

I haven't tried, but I would think so, if I boot DOS with USB enabled. On
the other hand, I have no reason to want to. :)

> Or load the required
> modules and chroot to it? (You might need to edit initrd.gz to load them
> in order to boot to it).

I have enough distros of BL to play with, on my regular hard drives. I
use the external USB drive for other things (like backing up the
irreplaceable stuff from DOS and Linux). I am unlikely to use the external
USB drive for a BL bootable distro.

> What power supply does it need (AC or DC, voltage?).

It has a power-supply/transformer to reduce 220 v AC to whatever it needs.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke